Zesty, colorful, delicious Pico de Gallo, kidney friendly style!
This is our second go at kidney friendly pico de gallo. I didn’t look at any recipes when I made the first one. Check out the original recipe here. I just always happen to have peppers and jicama at my house (doesn’t everyone?) and thought they would work together. They did. This time around I added about 3-4 cloves of garlic and a touch of salt (it needed it!). We love making simple recipes that work for the renal diet (or really any diet). We had friends over the day after made this and I had LOTS of compliments about this pico with its peppery crunch and fresh cilantro bite. Definitely a winner whether or not you’re cooking for kidney disease.
- 3 peppers (~1-2 cups) – use multiple colors for a more beautiful salsa!
- 3–6 garlic cloves (Depending on preference)
- ~1 cup jicama
- 1/2 sweet onion or purple onion
- 1/4 c lime juice or to taste
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Add all ingredients to food processor and pulse to make salsa.
The ingredients in this recipe are very flexible to taste. Some people prefer slightly more lime or a touch more sugar. You can also add a jalapeno, red pepper flakes, or hot sauce for a little heat.