We’re on a mission to make the renal diet FRIENDLY. That means livable (easier recipes) recipes for those with kidney failure, and lovable (tastes good too!). Too often people with kidney disease silently suffer with bland, tasteless food as they fight to keep their kidneys strong and stay on track. But you don’t have to! We hope you enjoy our fun video on how easy it is to make roasted tomatillo salsa
We found many corn tortilla chips with <65 mg sodium and no phosphate additives (not Doritos…).
This tomatillo salsa is a perfect canvas for adding any of your favorite flavors or for making a splash with your tacos, burritos or enchiladas. We didn’t feel a need to add salt with the dynamic roasted flavor of the tomatillos and the addition of the limes. If you want more HEAT (me!) then add some more jalapenos. We especially loved this recipe because it was so incredibly easy and fast.
Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- 1 lb tomatillos (about 15-17)
- 1 head garlic
- 3 jalapenos
- 1/4 c Lime juice (or to taste)
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1/4 c water or to desired consistency
- Cut tomatillos in half.
- Oil baking sheet and spread tomatillos, garlic, and jalapenos on sheet. Toss vegetables gently to coat with oil.
- Broil for 10-15 minutes until the tomatillos are turning brown. Remove from oven.
- Blend everything together in food processor until smooth. Serve with corn chips or over enchiladas, tacos, or burritos
We love this recipe! We had so much fun making it. It was our first video and we had to make-do without a tripod :/. We used a piece of an old baby gate stacked on a big pile of books so that we can film top down. Literally half way through the shoot the doorbell rang and the tripod had come. Perfection is not nearly as important as progress so we just finished out and are so proud with how this turned out.
– Jessianna and Rebecca