This kidney friendly soup is low in sodium and low in protein but doesn’t skimp on flavor! Recipe developed and tested by Amy Harshman, RDN, CMBEC.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 ounces or 2 cups roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 3 tablespoons low sodium homemade pesto
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/3 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Heat avocado oil in a pot over medium heat. Add diced onion and sauté until translucent and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
2. Add garlic and cook while stirring until fragrant, another minute or two.
3. Then add in the drained and chopped roasted red peppers, pesto, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer for 10-15 minutes.
4. Add in coconut milk and allow soup to reach a bare simmer, then turn off the heat.
5. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth and creamy. You can also use a powerful blender, working in batches and being careful not to overfill the blender with the hot mixture. Return soup into the pot and season with smoked paprika, salt (only if needed), and black pepper.
6. Heat the soup thoroughly and optionally garnish with a drizzle of olive oil or coconut milk before serving.