Looking for a kidney friendly substitute for hot chocolate to warm you up this winter? This creamy and delicious drink is soothing served warm, but is equally delicious over ice!
Recipe developed and tested by Jessica Prohn, MS, RD, CSR, LDN
- 1 cup unsweetened rice milk
- 1/2 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- dash of ground cinnamon
1. Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and place on the stove over medium-low heat, warming the milk enough while being careful to not let mixture boil over.
2. For a frothy milk, pour mixture in a blender and blend for 10-15 seconds.
3. Pour into a mug and enjoy warm or add some ice cubes for iced molasses milk.
Optional: add honey or maple syrup for sweetness, a sprinkle of sea salt, vanilla extract, or additional spices such as cloves, allspice, and/or anise for more depth of flavor.
When looking for a rice milk, be sure to choose unenriched rice milk to avoid phosphorus additives.
If you cannot find rice milk without additives, you can easily substitute almond milk. Just be sure to watch for phos in the ingredient list.