A delicious and refreshing salad for spring! This plant-based dish comes together quickly and is both flavorful and satisfying!
Recipe developed by Clarissa Paimanta, RD and tested by Jessica Prohn, MS, RD, CSR, LDN.
- 4 cups of kale leaves, stems removed, leaves thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/ 4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 avocado, cubed
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
1. Prep kale leaves by removing the tough center stem, then slicing the leaves thinly. Place into a mixing bowl.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, and sea salt. Pour the dressing over the kale, then massage the kale with your hands until they just start to wilt to tenderize the leaves.
3. Add the chickpeas and avocado and toss well. Add a sprinkle of smoked paprika and pumpkin seeds before serving.
More crunch: Roast the chickpeas with additional seasoning before adding to the salad.
More vegetables: Add sliced onion, peppers, or shredded carrots for more color.
Enjoy as a meal: Mix in cooked quinoa or top salad with croutons.
You may have heard that nuts, beans, and whole grains are not a great choice for a kidney-friendly diet because they are high in phosphorus. Wondering why we include them in many of our recipes? We include beans, nuts, and whole grains because only about 40% of phosphorus found in these plant foods are absorbed by humans. This makes them a good fit for most people’s diets! If you have questions about adding these foods to your diet, please reach out to your dietitian.