For the cream soup you’ve been missing on your renal diet!
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely minced onion or shallot
- 1/4 cup finely minced mushrooms
- 2 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup reduced / low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Dash of sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- In a 10 inch skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft.
- Add mushrooms, stir and cook for about 5 minutes or so. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and let cook for a minute or two.
- Whisk in broth and “milk” and stir until smooth. Bring to a simmer and cook until thick, about 5 minutes.
Rice milk has lowest potassium and phos of alternative milks. However, almond milk, oat milk, cashew milk could also be used in this recipe.
Original recipe calls for 1/2 c mushrooms. If you’re not on potassium restriction, then 1/2 c of mushrooms is ideal.